Friday, January 30, 2009

Almeara

In the latest Vogue Knitting (Winter 2008/2009) there is a pattern for a gorgeous pair of gloves, "Almeara", by Jared Flood (Brooklyn Tweed) and an accompanying article about Jared, "All you need is glove".

Here are my Almeara's knit in Elsebeth Lavold Angora which has been languishing in my stash for quite a while.  They were a lot of fun to knit and went very quickly, taking a little more than 4 evenings and less than three skeins to complete.


This yarn is heavier than the recommended yarn (Rowan Scottish Tweed DK), so my gloves are a little bit large and bulky but they are warm and fit over my rings - I love them!

The gloves start with an i-cord cast-on. That is a new cast-on for me and it is very cool.

I am glad to have it in my repertoire and can't wait to use it on future projects/designs.
Before blocking the fingers curl toward the palm since the palm side is done in garter stitch - that makes them look good without even having any fingers inside!

There are a number of errors in this pattern. Also there are a couple decrease rows that I thought could be worked better than the instructions given, although these may not have been errors. Here are my notes, bold/red are the changes I noted to the pattern. I think that most of these were quite obvious and many knitters would be able to make these corrections on their own without too much confusion.

Left Middle Finger
Round 4: k9, p1, k4, p1, k1

Left Thumb - Round 4 was omitted.
Round 4: p3, k8, p8

Right Pinkie
I thought the cables should be reversed:
Row 1: 4 st LC, k2, p1, k8
Row 3: k2, 4 st RC, p1, k8

Right Ring Finger
I thought the decreases should be worked:
[K2tog] 2x, [ssk] 2x, [p2tog] 3x, p1

Right Middle Finger
First sentence... 'work 5 palm sts',
would be clearer if it read: purl 5 palm sts'.
Round 4: k1, p1, k4, p1, k9
Decrease round ends with 8 sts.

Right Index Finger
I thought the Decrease Round should read:
ssk, [k2tog] 3x, [p2tog] 4x, p1

Right Thumb:
Decrease Round should read:
[k2tog] 4x, p1, [p2tog] 5x -- 10 sts.

Maybe in my next career I'll be tech editor.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Missouri
Knitting is magical!