Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Fair Isle Mitts

It's can be hard to find just the right shade of pink yarn. Recently I bought the perfect fuschia color of Cascade Heritage at The Loopy Ewe and was looking forward to making some socks for myself.  I was having a fun time deciding if I wanted to design a pattern or use one of the other patterns I'd been admiring, like Clessidra or Bayerische, maybe even Baudelaire.


My daughter was to home to visit and I said isn't this the nicest shade of fushcia?   She said, 'oh that would be perfect for those gloves you promised to make me'.....so much for my fuschia socks.


This pattern: Classic Elite Nederland Opera Mitts by Mary Jane Mucklestone


We decided I would use shades of gray for the fair isle patterning and conveniently I had just purchased cream, gray and dark gray sock yarn (Pace by Universal Yarns) at the Kirkwood Knittery.


The pattern is written for worsted weight yarn, so I adjusted the stitch counts for fingering weight. Instead of 48 stitches as given in the pattern, I used 72 sts.


She didn't want the gloves to go past her elbow as shown in the pattern, so I figured using the same number of rounds with fingering weight should end up just the right length. She is tiny and they are longer than I anticipated, but she seemed to be pleased.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Missouri
Knitting is magical!